Carrot and Leek Soup
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced thickly
- 4 leeks sliced in half lengthways then into half discs.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp vegetable bouillon mixed with 1 litre of water
- 50 ml milk optional
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas Mark 6/(180ºC fan-assisted).
- Lay the carrot slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle over the olive oil. Roast the carrots for 30-35 minutes, until they are soft. Turn once while they are roasting.
- Meanwhile sweat the leeks in 2 tbsp butter in a large lidded saucepan. Stir until they are soft and starting to caramelise slightly. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Make up the bouillon in a measuring jug.
- Once the carrots are roasted and the leeks softened put the bouillon and carrots into the pan with the leeks.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes then leave to cool before processing in a food processor.
- You can add milk at this stage if you want a creamier soup.
- Warm the soup through again and pour into pre-warmed flasks.
Many thanks to Jenny from Lunchbox Doctor for this Winter recipe.